It’s surprising how quickly Mother’s Day’s arrived again this year – mind you, where does the time go? We usually celebrate Mother’s Day on the last Sunday in March here in the UK. Here are some photographs of a different kind of card I made for my Mummy this year – a box of flowers!
The final photograph above was taken outside… it’s amazing how different the colours look!
To achieve the above, I actually cheated a little. I bought a digital kit from Crafts U Print and printed it out onto 300gsm glossy card. I decided the flowers that came with this didn’t really look fragile enough when cut out from this weight card, so decided to use vellum. I then went through my digital stash of papers and chose various complimentary coloured papers – some floral, some blended papers and printed these onto A4 vellum. I then had a look through my Pazzles Inspiration cutting files and found some “spiral” flowers i.e., a spiral is cut into a circle and after cutting it out, you roll it and this makes the rose-looking flowers. I then cut out lots of these, rolled them, glued them with a hot glue gun and then chose the ones I wanted to use. If you’d like to have a go at making these types of flowers but don’t have an electronic die cutting machine, take a look at this tutorial http://snapcreativity.com/easy-diy-paper-flowers/
The “flat”-looking flowers aren’t acutally flat, they’re layered vellum. I also added little gems to make it sparkle.
It is a lovely alternative to the “normal” type of card, although very labour intensive. Just shows the amount of love I put into it for my very special Mummy! 🙂
Today I have two cards to share with you. One for my nephew’s 14th birthday (Ben) and the second for my cousin’s son’s 10th birthday (Ethan). So, here we go…
I love nothing better that to spend time with family and Ben’s 14th birthday was no exception. Ben is an avid footballer, an Arsenal supporter, hence the theme of my card.
I was actually brave in making this card… you might think why, but I’ve had my Pazzles machine since October 2012 and find it very complicated (unless that’s just me being a techno-phobe) and haven’t used it very much. I took a chance and joined 2 circles, welded them together which made the base for the card. Then my idea just followed through. I thought I was so clever!
- Using black card & Pazzles Inspiration die cutting machine, cut out circle card base (6 inches)
- Cut 2 circles (5.25 inches) – one red, one green for mattes for under the football shape
- The football (black) is from the Pazzles library. Cut 2 – one for the front and one for the inside. Also cut out 2 white circles the same size.
- Using a scarf element from one of my digital scrapbooking kits, I manipulated it in Photoshop Elements8 to get the red and white stripes (Arsenal club colours), added “Happy Birthday Ben” using the Waltograph font (available free from dafont.com) and printed and cut it out by hand.
- The Arsenal shield is from google images which I printed and cut out, then highlighted all the gold bits with a gold Sakura Gelly Roll pen.
- I hand-wrote the greeting inside “It’s your Birthday,… have a ball!” with a black gel pen.
It was a glorious spring day here in the UK and my lovely sister and hubby cooked a lovely roast lunch too!
My second card was for my cousin’s son, Ethan, who has autism. He’s a lovely boy and collects anything of a technological nature from iPads to mobile phones. With the techno-theme in mind and his age (10), I thought a robot card would be just right for him.
Here’s how I made it.
- I chose to use the “Tinker” digital scrapbooking kit available free from Everyday Mom Ideas because I liked the cute robot.
- In MS Publisher I opened a new A4 29.7 x 21cm page with no margins (my printer has the facility to print without margins) and, as a guide, drew a line down the centre of the card at the fold line (14.85cm). This needs to be deleted before printing.
- I then dragged my chosen paper – white with multi-coloured cogs/gears – onto the page and resized and cropped it to fit in half of the right hand side of the section. I found a light blue-grey paper amongst my digital stash to match the same colour cog in the 1st paper and followed the same action, placing it under the cogs paper. The happy birthday greeting is the “automatika” font which I colourized using the colours in the cog paper so it matched. Once this background had been assembled, I then deleted the guide line I had previously drawn at the fold line, printed it off onto A4 glossy card and allowed it to dry – the pigment inks I use take a while to dry sufficiently.
- It was now time to “assemble” the robot. I did this in Photoshop Elements8 using the robot from the “Tinker” kit, a party hat and balloon from my digital stash. I recoloured the party hat and balloon using colours to co-ordinate with the gears/cogs on the paper and also recoloured the white parts of the robot to grey. I popped the party hat onto the robot’s head and placed the balloon to make it seem as if the robot was holding it and saved it as a .png element with a transparent background. I then went back to MS Publisher to gather together the elements for the card front.
- I inserted another page – Insert>Page>1>After current page OK – placed my robot, a photocorner from my digital stash, a strip of colour to match the darker blue 15cm wide, a grey strip with 0s and 1s binary and arranged them all so I’d have plenty of white around the robot so as to be able to cut out the correct size, printed it out on A4 glossy card.
- I then cut out all my elements, punched round corners (using my X-Cut corner punch) to the robot card, ran the blue strip through my Cuttlebug inside a polka dot embossing folder to add texture, and assembled the card using self-adhesive craft foam squares.
- As always with my cards, I created an insert from A4 120gsm paper and adhered it with double-sided self-adhesive tape.
Hope you enjoy my cards!